Monday, June 1, 2009

The Boarding House

This story has some sneaky women in it. I'm not sure, but I have the feeling that tricking Mr. Doran into marriage was the intention of both Mrs. Mooney and Polly from the beginning. While Mrs. Mooney tries to paint Polly as a young and inexperienced innocent, we know better from the song she sings in the beginning of the story "I'm a naughty girl", from the way she comes into his room wearing only a bath robe, and from how at the end of the story she abruptly stops crying, cleans herself up, and waits for her proposal. Her last reaction reminds me of a child that sobs like the world is ending until they get what they want and immediately return back to normal. I don't believe her tears for a second. I do not think Mr. Doran believes her either, but Mrs. Mooney threatens his reputation and the church threatens his soul. Mr. Doran is a example of a 'good' Dubliner; between the catholic church and Polly's mother, he doesn't stand a chance.

"The priest had drawn out every ridiculous detail of the affair and in the end had so magnified his sin that he was almost thankful at being afforded a loophole of reparation. The harm was done. What he do now but marry her or run away?" (53)

"He could not make up his mind whether to like her or despise her for what she had done. Of course, he had done it too. His instinct urged him to remain free, not to marry. Once you are married you are done for, it said." (54)

Mr. Doran fell into their snare. The women trick him into a less than advantageous marriage to advance Polly's position in life at the expense of Mr. Doran. Is this the woman's and the church's way of keeping men in Dublin...by trapping them? I find the church's role very interesting as well. The guilt the priest inflicts on Mr. Doran is an integral part of this cycle. If he doesn't feel guilty about his sins, the women would have no power over him. He would not care who they told, and their blackmail would not be effective. Poor guy.

1 comment:

  1. Good interpretation. What is the broader significance for the collection as a whole?

    ReplyDelete